A twist on an all-time classic. This cauliflower cheese recipe uses butternut squash and smoked garlic to turn it into a great meat-free family meal. Use a veggie alternative to Parmesan to make this a 100% vegetarian meal.
Serves 6 Prep time 45 mins
· 1 large cauliflower, broken into florets
· 1 large butternut squash peeled, deseeded cut into chunks
· 1 pint single cream
· 1 tsp English mustard
· 100g dry Parmesan and 300g mature cheddar, grated (use vegetarian alternative to Parmesan if you wish)
· 1 bulb smoked garlic, finely diced
1. Toss your chunks of squash 1 tbsp of olive oil and roast squash in oven until golden (approx 35 mins)
2. Steam or boil cauliflower until tender (approx. 8 mins), drain and set to one side.
3. In a heavy based pan bring single cream to the boil adding a teaspoon of English mustard (or to taste), smoked garlic and most of the Parmesan and cheddar, simmer gently.
4. Mix 1 tbsp of cornflour with 4 tbsp of cold water, add to sauce, and season to taste.
5. Gently stir the sauce through the cauliflower and squash.
6. Place in an oven proof serving dish and sprinkle over remaining cheese, place under hot grill until golden.
7. Serve with rocket and Isle of Wight tomatoes.
Thank you to the Garlic Farm for the recipe,to find out more about the
farm go to www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk