Try this delicious and impressive-looking rhubarb cake with a layer of custard baked through the centre this recipe makes a simple but delicious traybake, with the classic flavours of rhubarb and custard.
Rhubarb (around 3-400g)
50g of sugar - for the roasted rhubarb
250g of softened butter
150g of ready made custard – a small tub of ambrosia is perfect
250g of self raising flour
4 large eggs
half a teaspoon of baking powder
250g of golden caster sugar
I/2 teaspoon of vanilla essence/paste
- Begin by roasting the rhubarb, cut into 2cm pieces and place on a baking tray, sprinkle with sugar and roast for 15 minutes with foil on and 5 minutes with the foil removed at Gas mark 6, 190oc. Once soft carefully tip off the syrup and leave the rhubarb to cool.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180oc/gas mark 4. Grease and line a 23cm round tin
- In a large bowl beat together the sugar, eggs, butter, flour, baking powder, vanilla and all but two tablespoons of the custard.
- Put one third of the mixture into the prepared tin, then add one third of the cooled rhubarb, another layer of cake mix and then more rhubarb, finally add the last layer of cake mix and then dot the rhubarb all over followed by dots of the reserved custard.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes, once browned and risen cover with foil and cook for a further 20-30 minutes - keep checking until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin or serve warm with cream.
Try Living Larders home grown veggie boxes delivered across the Isle of Wight. www.livinglarder.co.uk
Photo by Monika Grabkowska and Living Larder